473,322 Members | 1,911 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,322 software developers and data experts.

Add User settings to My.Settings at Runtime

Does anyone know how to add user scoped settings to My.Settings at runtime?

I know how to use the 'My Settings' designer to add user settings at design
time. I also, know how to create a class that inherits from the
ApplicationSettingsBase where you can define your own settings with their
default values, at design time. But, these are all done at design time which
aint want i need.

I've tried using the My.Settings.Properties.Add method, but that doesn't
seem to work? is it supposed to?

I'm guessing i'll need to have a user scoped collection setting that allows
me to add settings to it and then serializes the collection. This seems a bit
wrong though.

Cheers

Apr 12 '06 #1
2 9678
Dear Shane,

As I think, there are 2 ways to add user Setting for my.settings, but both
are under design time,

1) using Project Designer
2) Properties Windows

And there is a sentence from the .NET Documentation,
========
The My.Settings object provides access to the application's settings and
allows you to dynamically store and retrieve property settings and other
information for your application
========

--
Hope this help and welcome to reply the testing result.

Regards
Ken Lin, Kam Hung
Founder and VP of Hong Kong .NET User Group(http://HKNetUG.com)
MCP, MCP+I, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE(NT4 & win2k),
MCSE+I, MCDBA(SQL7 & SQL2K), MCSD(VB6 & .NET), MCAD(.NET)
Microsoft Community Star(Hong Kong & Taiwan)
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional(.NET since 2003)
MCT2004 & 2005
"Shane" <Sh***@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A4**********************************@microsof t.com...
Does anyone know how to add user scoped settings to My.Settings at runtime?
I know how to use the 'My Settings' designer to add user settings at design time. I also, know how to create a class that inherits from the
ApplicationSettingsBase where you can define your own settings with their
default values, at design time. But, these are all done at design time which aint want i need.

I've tried using the My.Settings.Properties.Add method, but that doesn't
seem to work? is it supposed to?

I'm guessing i'll need to have a user scoped collection setting that allows me to add settings to it and then serializes the collection. This seems a bit wrong though.

Cheers

Apr 12 '06 #2
So, you're saying there is absolutely no way to add settings at runtime?

My reason for needing this feature is to store settings for a pc's mixer
controls (ie. master volume, wave volume etc). I basically enumerate all
mixer controls and store their settings. Available mixer controls vary from
pc to pc, so there is no way i can know their settings at design time.

Cheers
Apr 12 '06 #3

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: ano1optimist | last post by:
We've got users sharing a database where the front end apps reside on the local PC while the backend app is on the network. We have repeated problems where certain users lock the database causing...
by: john | last post by:
I searched http://www.sellsbrothers.com. and could not find anything about this subject. How do I make C# User Controls Visible to Visual Basic 6.0 Applications? Thanks, John
by: Smithers | last post by:
I have a non trivial ASP.NET Web application that implements its navigation system via a user control (menu.ascx) placed on every page. It is important to note that the user control that hosts...
by: Colmag | last post by:
I've written an application with vb.net 2003 (framework 1.1) which automates a 3rd party viewing/printing application (via an activex control). I've released several versions over the last year...
by: Steve Long | last post by:
Hello. Can anyone tell me the proper way to save the properties of a user control between design time and run time? So, I've got this user control with the following properties: BarColor1...
by: Spam Catcher | last post by:
Does anyone use the My.Settings for runtime parameters? I.E. storing global variables? Is that proper?
by: davemills81 | last post by:
Hi, Does anyone know how to update the user or application settings of a dll after building? The problem I have is? I have recently developed a service in C# that attaches references a dll. ...
by: lazycoder207 | last post by:
hi i am writing an application in C# where i have to create a settings file everytime a new user starts using ...( i will be using username / password for my app to check if he was logged before in...
by: joe.wilkes | last post by:
does anyone know how to add settings during runtime? I would really like to incorporate this feature into a app that I am building.
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
Tired of spending countless mintues downsampling your data? Look no further! In this article, you’ll learn how to efficiently downsample 6.48 billion high-frequency records to 61 million...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
ExcelToDatabase: batch import excel into database automatically...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
isladogs
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 6 Mar 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). In this month's session, we are pleased to welcome back...
by: jfyes | last post by:
As a hardware engineer, after seeing that CEIWEI recently released a new tool for Modbus RTU Over TCP/UDP filtering and monitoring, I actively went to its official website to take a look. It turned...
by: ArrayDB | last post by:
The error message I've encountered is; ERROR:root:Error generating model response: exception: access violation writing 0x0000000000005140, which seems to be indicative of an access violation...
by: af34tf | last post by:
Hi Guys, I have a domain whose name is BytesLimited.com, and I want to sell it. Does anyone know about platforms that allow me to list my domain in auction for free. Thank you
by: Faith0G | last post by:
I am starting a new it consulting business and it's been a while since I setup a new website. Is wordpress still the best web based software for hosting a 5 page website? The webpages will be...
isladogs
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 3 Apr 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome former...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.