473,386 Members | 1,654 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,386 software developers and data experts.

How to get a client's ip address with ASP.NET

I want to fetch client's ip address as soon as he accesses my web-site built in asp.net.Then i want to store it in my database.
Is there any method to achieve this target in asp.net application.
If you could help me i will be very thankful to you.
Dec 27 '05 #1
10 261710
Niheel
2,460 Expert Mod 2GB
ASP .Net web page:
Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers
  1. Dim strClientIP As String
  2. strClientIP = Request.UserHostAddress()
  3. Response.Write(strClientIP)
ASP .NET web services:
  1. Context.Request.ServerVariables ["REMOTE_ADDR"]
Dec 27 '05 #2
or you can try:
  1. string ip;
  3. ip=Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR");
  4. if(ip==string.Empty)
  5. {
  6. ip=Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR");
  7. }
REMOTE_ADDR does not always provide the users IP but rather the ISPs' IP address so first test HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR as this one is the real user IP.
Jun 10 '07 #3
This is very helpful for me. Many thanks
Feb 16 '09 #4
Dorana
Another important note to this

the HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR may contain an array of IP, this can happen if you connect through a proxy.
What also happens when this happens is that the REMOTE_ADDR may contain the proxy IP.

to avoid this problem you can parse the HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR for the last entery IP.

this can easily be done using...
  1. ip=Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR") ;
  2. if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(ip))
  3. {
  4.    string[] ipRange = ip.Split(',');
  5.    int le = ipRange.Length - 1;
  6.    string trueIP = ipRange[le];
  7. }
  8. else
  9. {
  10.    ip=Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR");
  11. }
This code example is C#.NET but the method is the same

What this does is check if we have anything in the HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR, and if we do we take out the last entry (works if only one entry is found aswell)
if we don't have an HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR we set the IP from the REMOTE_ADDR instead
Jun 24 '09 #5
YoSoy
only one thing...Servervariables is the NameValueCollection type so its items cannot be accesed by doing ServerVariables(ItemName) if C# is used for coding.
Instead please use... ServerVariables[ItemName] that doesn't hurt
Jul 7 '09 #6
Dorana
Yes of cause. My misstake.

there were also some concern about the order of the X-FORWARDED-FOR addresses.

My code gets the last entry in the string.
for the first entry simply use
  1.  if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(ip))
  2.  {
  3.     string[] ipRange = ip.Split(',');
  4.     string trueIP = ipRange[0];
  5.  }
instead of
  1.  if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(ip))
  2.  {
  3.     string[] ipRange = ip.Split(',');
  4.     int le = ipRange.Length - 1;
  5.     string trueIP = ipRange[le];
  6.  }
Jul 8 '09 #7
YoSoy
also remember that those values are a comma+space separated list so you could add string trueIP = ipRange[0].Trim(); in order to avoid spaces in fornt or in the back of your result, but that is just a bit picky from my side... sorry about that
Jul 8 '09 #8
Hi i m not able to get value of HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR , the value Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR") i get is nothing so kindly guide me
Jan 18 '11 #9
I test this in my VS2008 and it write "127.0.0.1",but I don't know how it will show in a real web site,did I finish it?
Aug 9 '13 #10
There is a simple way to get client's ipAddress
you just need to write one line
  1. string ipaddress = Context.Request.ServerVariables["REMOTE_ADDR"]
and write the below query
  1. insert into tablename (ipaddress)values('"+ipaddress+"');
Nov 30 '13 #11

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.