473,386 Members | 1,821 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,386 software developers and data experts.

Not a valid assembly (Add Reference failure)

When trying to add a reference to a DLL (made with VS2005TS) to a VS2003
project, I receive the following error popup: A reference to
'assemblyname.exe' could not be added. This is not a valid assembly or COM
component. Only assemblies with extension 'dll' and COM components can be
referenced. Please make sure that the file is accessible, and that it is a
valid assembly or COM component.

I have tried Googling for a solution, and I did find an MSDN page
(http://support.microsoft.com/default...1631#appliesto)
that talked about it, but haven't been successful in finding useful info.

One interesting clue as to the problem is that under Selected Components
(inside the VS2003 Add Reference dialog), the Type is listed as "File", not
".Net". Also, I can successfully add the DLL as a reference to the DLL's own
VS2005TS project, just not to VS2003.

Thanks for any wisdom you can impart.

Troy
Dec 16 '05 #1
4 32348
>When trying to add a reference to a DLL (made with VS2005TS) to a VS2003
project,

That's simply not possible. VS2003 is tightly integrated with v1.1 of
the CLR which can't load assemblies compiled for v2.0.
Mattias

--
Mattias Sjögren [C# MVP] mattias @ mvps.org
http://www.msjogren.net/dotnet/ | http://www.dotnetinterop.com
Please reply only to the newsgroup.
Dec 16 '05 #2
> That's simply not possible. VS2003 is tightly integrated with v1.1 of
the CLR which can't load assemblies compiled for v2.0.

If I understand you correctly, the popup error message (within VS2003) is
actually wrong: the DLL may well be a valid assembly file, it's just not
compatible with .Net 1.1. Correct?

If that is the case it bewilders me as to why VS2003 doesn't just tell me it
can't reference a .Net DLL that is greater than .Net 1.x. Even my Jethro
brain could easily comprehend that message.

Does that mean that VS2003 can't be used to build .Net 2.0 projects? If so,
that's beyond words.

Anyway, thanks for your timely assistance.

Dec 17 '05 #3
>If I understand you correctly, the popup error message (within VS2003) is
actually wrong: the DLL may well be a valid assembly file, it's just not
compatible with .Net 1.1. Correct?
Exactly.

Does that mean that VS2003 can't be used to build .Net 2.0 projects? If so,
that's beyond words.

Correct, you need VS2005 for that.
Mattias

--
Mattias Sjögren [C# MVP] mattias @ mvps.org
http://www.msjogren.net/dotnet/ | http://www.dotnetinterop.com
Please reply only to the newsgroup.
Dec 19 '05 #4
> Exactly.
Correct, you need VS2005 for that.

Mattias

Thanks again for your time and assistance. It is much appreciated.

Troy
Dec 19 '05 #5

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: Gary Brewer | last post by:
Hi, I have a Windows Forms application stub (Admin.exe) that runs on a local machine. It loads assemblies from a website programmatically using the Assembly.LoadFrom static method. One of the...
by: Cybertof | last post by:
Hello, What is the difference between : - adding a new reference to a namespace within the SolutionExplorer (right click, Add Reference...) - adding a new reference with the 'using' keyword in...
by: Kimmo Laine | last post by:
Hi, i have this dummy server which i would like to be a shared assembly: using System; using System.Reflection; using System.Runtime.CompilerServices; namespace MySrv
by: Walid Koleilat | last post by:
I have created an assembly and assigned a strong name to it. However I want to reference it from another application and i want its name to appear in the add reference dialog box, I think I should...
by: Mark | last post by:
Hello I can successuly install an assembly into the GAC with GacUtil. However I cannot get the assembly to appear in the "VS.Net > Add Reference > .Net tab" (where for example, other assemblies in...
by: Mark Olbert | last post by:
I'm running into some oddball behavior that I hope is not by design. When I add a reference (via Add Reference) to the bin folder, some, but not all, of the assemblies referenced by the assembly...
by: Vipul Pathak | last post by:
Hi Every one, I am working on deployment of a library. When the library installs on a user's machine, I want that the installed assemblies should get listed in the "Add Reference" (AddRef)...
by: PulkitZery | last post by:
Hi everyone, I have created an application using vb.net 2.0 and I need to add reference of this project to our older application which is build in using vb.net 1.1. Now when I try to add the...
by: ashish1985s | last post by:
Hello Friends!! I have very starnge proablme when i am adding any dll file in VS 2005 which are downloaded from net than i got erro that Make Sure file is valid assembly or COM Componant... Even...
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
If we have dozens or hundreds of excel to import into the database, if we use the excel import function provided by database editors such as navicat, it will be extremely tedious and time-consuming...
by: ryjfgjl | last post by:
In our work, we often receive Excel tables with data in the same format. If we want to analyze these data, it can be difficult to analyze them because the data is spread across multiple Excel files...
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However,...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.