473,395 Members | 1,956 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,395 software developers and data experts.

Accessing USB port

How can we access the USB port to communicate with USB
devices (read/write) using VB.NET ?

Amjad
Nov 20 '05 #1
2 5754
"Amjad" <an*******@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0a****************************@phx.gbl...
How can we access the USB port to communicate with USB
devices (read/write) using VB.NET ?

You want to talk to the port directly (raw data), or do you want to talk to
the driver (which would interpert the raw data for you)?

If you want to talk to the driver, you need to contact the manufacturer, or
if it is a standard device, such as a digital camera, then you need to use
the appropriate windows services (for example, you would use WIA for a
scanner/camera).

If you want the raw data, I would imagin that you could use the windows USB
communication functions, but I have no idea what DLL these are hidden in. I
would start by looking up USB communications in the Platform SDK on MSDN
(msdn.microsoft.com).
HTH,
Jeremy

Nov 20 '05 #2
Hi,

You normally use whatever API is provided by the USB device manufacturer.
For example, a USB serial port or modem will use standard Windows serial
communications APIs.

However, if you have a special, purpose-built, USB device, you can use USB
APIs. These are described in detail (with examples) in Jan Axelson's book,
USB Complete 2nd Edition. I have a link to it from Books on my homepage.

Dick

--
Richard Grier (Microsoft Visual Basic MVP)

See www.hardandsoftware.net for contact information.

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd
Edition ISBN 1-890422-27-4 (391 pages) published February 2002.
Nov 20 '05 #3

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: MSDousti | last post by:
Hi, everyone. I have written this code in Tubo C++ 3.0 earlier, and now I want to port it to VC.NET: int out=0; out=(out & 0xDF); outportb(0x378,out); .... As you see, it seeks to parallel...
by: Joseph MCAD | last post by:
April 5, 2005 Does anybody know how to access these newsgroups through a newsreader? I would prefer to use Outlook Express. If you know the name of the news server and any other configuration...
by: Fredric Ragnar | last post by:
Hi, I am making a prototype system with Remoting in the bottom of the system. An XML Web Service is using the remote object on an IIS to present data. I am using a TcpChannel for communicating...
by: George T. | last post by:
I need to access the serial port via python on a windows machine. Reading on the web, there are three solutions: pyserial, siomodule and USPP. pyserial seems to be the best option since the other...
by: Mike | last post by:
I'm having trouble accessing SQL2005 Standard Edition as a second instance of SQL Server where the first instance is SQL 2000 Enterprise Edition. I installed SQL 2005 as a named instance...
Coldfire
by: Coldfire | last post by:
How can I know that which Application is accessing the port COM1/COM2/LPT/any ? Is there any software-utility available on net? plz help asap (i have moved the post from community cafe to here)
by: John | last post by:
Hi We had an sbs 2003 with isa 2000 server. We wre able to access a remote sql server (hosted at our web host) just fine. We replaced the server with a new sbs 2003 r2 with isa 2004 server and...
by: satheeshviswanathan | last post by:
Hi, I am new to visual c#/.NET. Can anyone help me in accessing a virtual serial port(COM port) in a c#/.NET windows application.I have a s/w for virtual serial port. I need to connect two COM...
by: Jon | last post by:
I wrote a VS 2005 C# express programme that accesses a web service. It works fine when there's a direct connection to the internet, but on two different PCs with internet access via a proxy, I get...
by: dcblair | last post by:
Hi guys and girls. I can't seem to figure this one out. Here is my setup: Speedtouch 536 DSL Modem, Nexxt 4 Port Wireless Router, CNET CIC 920W Wireless IP Camera. The camera is set up in...
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
BarryA
by: BarryA | last post by:
What are the essential steps and strategies outlined in the Data Structures and Algorithms (DSA) roadmap for aspiring data scientists? How can individuals effectively utilize this roadmap to progress...
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Sonnysonu | last post by:
This is the data of csv file 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 the lengths should be different i have to store the data by column-wise with in the specific length. suppose the i have to...
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers,...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing,...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.