473,404 Members | 2,114 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,404 software developers and data experts.

Issue with project reference - csproj.user

Hi,

Here is my issue with VS.NET IDE project reference:

I have a project (myproj.csproj) referencing a non-GACed strongly named
assembly (comp.dll 2.0.1.0) with copy local = true; we also have a comp.dll
2.1.0.0 version GACed. when I close the project and reopen it, the reference
is still ok and point to the right version (2.0.1.0). BUT if I remove the
myproj.csproj.user and then re-open the project, the reference will be
changed by VS.NET IDE to 2.1.0.0 - this will cause a problem for our build
process because when the build master checkout this project file w/o the
myproj.csproj.user file and the reference to comp.dll will be changed to
newer version that exists in GAC. One way of solving this issue is to check
in the myproj.csproj.user (but this sounds wierd), any other good solution
or settings somewhere to force the .csproj to use hard reference such as
C:\VSS\Somewhere and not use the relative path such as "..\..\..\Somewhere"?

Thanks a lot!

John
Nov 17 '05 #1
1 9709
Hi John,

Welcome to .NET newsgroup.
As for the assembly reference problem you mentioned, this is an expected
behavior since the VS.NET will lookup assembly through the csproj.user file
first( has higher priority). Though there are also "hint path"s in the
csproj (project file), they'll only be referenced when IDE fail to find
assembly in the csproj.user specified path. And when we deleting the
csproj.user , some default wellknown location will be searched such as GAC.
Currently there seems haven't any better means to let the IDE directly
reference the paths in csproj file or ingore the csproj.user file. Also the
following blog article has also discussed on this problem:

#Assembly Reference Resolving in Visual Studio.
http://objectsharp.com/Blogs/barry/a...10/29/988.aspx

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
(This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
rights.)

Nov 17 '05 #2

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: Stan | last post by:
My project folder path is c:\Projects\FinWeb. I set up FinWeb virtual folder in IIS and pointed it to that path. I can access the web site via http://localhost/FinWeb. However, when I try to add...
by: Matt | last post by:
When I tried to open an existing proj1.csproj in VS.NET 2003. It pops up a dialog saying "The project 'proj1.csproj' must be converted to the current project format. After it has been converted,...
by: Brad | last post by:
I'm not one to rant or flame....so please excuse me while I do so for this once. I've now spent a bit of time working with VS2005 beta 2 to see how it functions for web development, especially how...
by: John M | last post by:
Hello, I have problem when copying the sln application to other computer. The project is on directory phones. The other computer cannot even open the application : doesn't find the...
by: Anubhav Jain | last post by:
Hi, I am having few .net source files(.cs or .vb) and I want to dynamically generate the corresponding .net project file(.csproj or .vbproj) for them without using visual studio.So that I could...
by: Anbu | last post by:
Hi All, I'm creating an ASP.NET 2.0 web solution using VS 2005. The solution (.sln) contains 4 projects, one depends on another. I need to compile the project files using automated process,...
by: ping235 | last post by:
Recently, i am busying myself on a project that support both the Full ..NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Compact Framework 2.0, with the same set of c# code, but have different project properties and...
by: Max2006 | last post by:
Hi, When I use Web Deployment Project to create a deployment image of my web site, It includes un-necessaty files such as *.csproj files. Can I disable the deployment of *.csproj files?
by: nelsonbrodyk | last post by:
Hey All, I am getting an oddity around the csproj files, and am hoping someone has a solution. I will use an example to explain it. I have Project A, and Project B. B depends on A, and A was...
by: Charles Arthur | last post by:
How do i turn on java script on a villaon, callus and itel keypad mobile phone
by: emmanuelkatto | last post by:
Hi All, I am Emmanuel katto from Uganda. I want to ask what challenges you've faced while migrating a website to cloud. Please let me know. Thanks! Emmanuel
by: nemocccc | last post by:
hello, everyone, I want to develop a software for my android phone for daily needs, any suggestions?
by: Hystou | last post by:
There are some requirements for setting up RAID: 1. The motherboard and BIOS support RAID configuration. 2. The motherboard has 2 or more available SATA protocol SSD/HDD slots (including MSATA, M.2...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each...
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing,...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.