Random() problem

why on earth does:

for(int i =0;i<5;i++)
{
Response.Write( new Random().Next(0 ,1000).ToString () + "<br>");
}

give me: (for example)

??

(I was sort of expecting a different number each time)
any ideas very gratefully received - apologies if I'm being thick.
Nov 15 '05 #1
3 3622
On 18 Dec 2003 02:21:34 -0800, steven shingler
<st************ *@virgin.net> wrote:
why on earth does:

for(int i =0;i<5;i++)
{
Response.Write( new Random().Next(0 ,1000).ToString () + "<br>");
}

give me: (for example)

??

(I was sort of expecting a different number each time)
any ideas very gratefully received - apologies if I'm being thick.

Because you create a Random() by giving it a seed.
It isn't completely random so when you give it the same seed it will
produce the same series of numbers.
So... create a Random only once. I usually choose a seed number based on
current time, since you have no way of knowing what this number will be.

Random rand = new Random((int)Dat eTime.Now.Ticks );
for(int i =0;i<5;i++)
{
Response.Write( rand.Next(0,100 0).ToString() + "<br>");
}
--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Nov 15 '05 #2

Thank you Morten!
Nov 15 '05 #3
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 05:29:15 -0800, steven
<an*******@disc ussions.microso ft.com> wrote:

You're welcome!

--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Nov 15 '05 #4

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

by: Nicholas Geraldi | last post by:
Im looking for a decent random number generator. Im looking to make a large number of random numbers (100 or so, if not more) in a short period of time (as fast as possible). the function i was using to get random numbers was Random rn = new Random(System.currentTimeMillis()); but it seems that the system doesn't update the milliseconds...
by: AndyW | last post by:
hey folks, Just have some code as follows:- for( int i=0; i<10; i++) { Random randomNumberGenerator; randomNumberGenerator = new Random(); int num = randomNumberGenerator.nextInt(10); System.out.println( num ); }
by: Paul Rubin | last post by:
http://www.nightsong.com/phr/python/sharandom.c This is intended to be less predicable/have fewer correlations than the default Mersenne Twister or Wichmann-Hill generators. Comments are appreciated.
by: Virus | last post by:
Ok well what I am trying to do is have 1.) the background color to change randomly with 5 different colors.(change on page load) 2,) 10 different quotes randomly fadeing in and out in random spots on the webpage. with a delay timer on them, so they keep changing as the page is open. Not random each time the page is loaded. If anyone...
by: Sonoman | last post by:
Hi all: I am trying to write a simple program that simulates asking several persons their birth day and it counts how many persons are asked until two have the same birth day. The problem that I have is that the first loop I get a sequence of random numbers untuil I get a match, BUT then on the following loops I get the SAME random(?)...
by: Roy Gourgi | last post by:
Hi, How do I invoke the random number generator that was suggested by a few people. Ideally, what I would like to do is to instantiate the random no. generator with a seed value that does not repeat the values and that can be called from any class, as I have to call the random number generator from a few different classes. Here is my code:...
by: Curt_C [MVP] | last post by:
If I use it in my page it's fine but when I put it in a Class file for calling it returns the same # for each call. Any ideas why? I'm sure it's something I'll slap myself for but the only samples I can find are for calling the Random() within the page, not a seperate class. --Page-- myClass myclass = new myClass(); for(int i = 1;i <=...
by: RadiationX | last post by:
I have a problem that I really don't understand at all. In my previous post I could get started on my projects I just had a few problems with syntax errors. This problem is something that I don't conceptually understand very well. Here it is: Π – the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter – is one of the most common...
by: tshad | last post by:
I am trying to set up an Image authorization where you type in the value that is in a picture to log on to our site. I found a program that is supposed to do it, but it doesn't seem to work. It should put a blue and yellow box on the page with "This is a test" as part of the picture. But what I get is a broken Gif. The other problem is...
by: tshad | last post by:
I have a page that I am getting a username and password as a random number (2 letters, one number and 4 more letters) I have 2 functions I call: ************************************************* Function RandomString(size as integer, lowerCase as boolean) as string Dim builder as StringBuilder = new StringBuilder() Dim random as Random =...
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language...
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that...
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For...
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the...
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes...
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert...
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in...
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.